5th GRADE BAND - BEGINNING BAND INFORMATION
COMMITMENT & SIGN-UP
- Band in middle school is an assigned class and students who sign up for band will attend weekly lessons and rehearsals.
- Band lessons are in place of general music.
- Students are expected to commit to band and a single instrument for the entire school year.
- Students will be assigned a lesson group based on the instrument they choose. The earlier you decide on your instrument the better.
Each student must have parent/guardian permission in order to join band. A signed form/note or email from the parent/guardian.
What Instruments can I play?
You may choose one of the instruments below. All Instruments are equally fun and require the same amount of effort and practice time!
- Oboe, Clarinet
- F Horn/Mellophone
- Percussion - must learn both xylophone and drums
For an introduction to each band instrument, watch this YouTube video by the U.S. Army band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCTeSjpDsIs
HOW DO I GET AN INSTRUMENT?
- The school has a very limited amount of instruments. Use of a school instrument is not guaranteed and parents should first pursue options to rent, buy, or use one you already own.
- School instruments are reserved only for those who cannot afford to rent or buy.
- School instruments have to be signed out and the student is responsible for any damages
- Percussionists will use the equipment at school, but need their own drum pad & sticks for home
- Tuba, baritone and trombone players can use school instruments at school due to transportation limitations, but will still need something to practice at home.
More information can be found in the downloadable PDF document at the top of this page. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. Hock.
Goals & Objectives:
- Learn to play and practice a band instrument individually
- Learn good sound, rhythm, tempo (speed), and notes
- Learn to care for and properly assemble the instrument
- Learn to play and rehearse with other students, in small and large groups
- Learn to perform for an audience, individually and in small groups
- Band Lessons run on a 6-day rotation - 5th period
- One cycle day will be their small group band lesson, and another day will be FULL band rehearsal
- Band students come to band lessons instead of general music during the rotation
- Band students should plan ahead for their lesson and be sure they have their instrument, music and supplies at school on those days
- Lesson participation & practicing - 10 points each lesson
- Related CANVAS assignments - 5-10 points each rotation
- Level playing tests, individually - 5 points
- Large group rehearsal participation - 10 points
- Concert performances are our opportunity to showcase everything we have learned to parents and the community.
- Fall concert: Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 7pm, High School Auditorium
- Spring concert: Thursday, April 21, 2022 @ 7pm, High School Auditorium
For other beginning band questions contact Mr. Hock: email@example.com or 684-4240 ext 3306