BEGINNING BAND INFORMATION
COMMITMENT & SIGN-UP
- Band in middle school is an assigned class and students who sign up for band will attend weekly lessons and rehearsals. Band lessons are in place of general music.
- Students are expected to commit to band and a single instrument for the entire school year.
- Students will be assigned a lesson group based on the instrument they choose. The earlier you decide on your instrument the better.
Each student and parent will be required the sign and return a permission form in order to join band. Permission form is included in the downloadable PDF file above. Parents may also send an email in place of the permission form.
What Instruments can I play?
You may choose one of the instruments below. All Instruments are equally fun and require the same amount of effort and practice time!
- Oboe, Clarinet
- F Horn/Mellophone
- Trombone, Baritone/Euphonium, Tuba
- Percussion - must learn both bells and drums
Watch this YouTube video by the U.S. Army band for an introduction to each instrument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCTeSjpDsIs
HOW DO I GET AN INSTRUMENT?
- The school has a very limited amount of instruments. Use of a school instrument is not guaranteed and parents should first pursue options to rent, buy, or use one you already own.
- School instruments are reserved only for those who cannot afford to rent or buy.
- School instruments have to be signed out and the student is responsible for any damages
- Percussionists will use the equipment at school, but need their own drum pad & sticks for home
- Tuba, baritone and trombone players can use school instruments at school due to transportation limitations, but will still need something to practice at home.
More information can be found in the downloadable PDF document at the top of this page. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. Hock.